[unclug] FreedomPop as local ISP?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at unc.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:19:03 EDT 2013

another home-use question: anyone using FreedomPop as their ISP?
If so, what's your experience? Esp as a linux user? (I know, OS *should* not matter, but ...)
Why I ask:

I've been hoping to get ISP != TWC/RR for awhile--it's expensive for what one gets, and I don't like their politics. However I haven't seen any options that weren't either too expensive, involved a contract, or that had bad user reviews. I recently heard freedompop.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomPop

is now available in Carrboro. Their plans seem reasonable (although

- the data price cap=10 GB/mo, which rules out all but the most occasional video

- ya gotta buy their modem/router for $90

- they're currently brokering data from Clearwire (but are apparently moving to Sprint/Softbank)

), their politics seem good (e.g., they seem to be Doing Their Bit to "close the digital divide"), and there's no contract (unless I'm missing something).

But that leaves the semi-empirical question, how good is their service? Which I'm hoping some linux user on the list can answer, preferably from direct experience.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>