[unclug] Paid Grad Student Internship

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Mon Aug 30 14:10:38 EDT 2010

I have an opportunity to hire a grad student intern.

The opportunity is for a project of the Department of Marine Sciences
and is 200 hours of work which must be completed prior to December 31. A
reasonable schedule would be 20 hours per week for ten  weeks. The pay
rate is $14/hour for a total of $2800 pre-tax gross.

The work is intelligent but manual data entry into a content management
system. SECOORA (http://secoora.org), the Southeast Coastal Ocean
Observing Regional Association, is attempting to populate an inventory
tracking application with information about ocean observing platforms in
the Southeastern U.S..

As a starting point, we have a spreadsheet of known platforms. However,
the spreadsheet only has some of the information required. The work
involves chasing down and entering the missing information through
sleuthing and research.

Performing the work will impart an awareness of the current state of
ocean observing platforms in the Southeast, as well as competence in
metadata management, and will grant exposure to web services and
scripting. About 200 platforms require research and entry. Initial time
and motion studies have revealed that an average platform requires
approximately one hour of research and entry work.

Please pass this along to any candidates or channels you think might be
appropriate. Interested candidates should forward a CV to me offlist.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530