[unclug] (no subject)

Todd M. Lewis utoddl at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 1 11:34:48 EST 2006

That's interesting. /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse is a symbolic link to
/usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse. /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse is hardlinked to
/usr/bin/eclipse (i.e., "ls -li" shows they both have the same idnode).

The significant difference appears to be that next to
/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse is another file
/usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar, which gets used when calling eclipse as
/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse. However, strace shows that /usr/bin/eclipse
tries (and fails) to load /usr/bin/startup.jar. Evidently it's looking
for startup.jar in the directory eclipse lives in.

For what it's worth, running eclipse from the menu fails the same way.
No too surprising really (that it fails the same way I mean; it's plenty
surprising that it got past QA this way).
    / Todd_Lewis at unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /        The short fortuneteller who escaped from prison       /
  /                 was a small medium at large.                 /