[unclug] (no subject)

Alan Hoyle alanh at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 1 09:27:07 EST 2006

I think I've found a workaround. Instead of running /usr/bin/eclipse, I try
running /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.

Then I get a "Fedora Eclipse" splash screen (which I didn't get from the
java -jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar method), and it all seems to be OK
(admittedly, I haven't tested thoroughly).

Oddly enough, diff /usr/bin/eclipse /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse seems to
indicate the files are the same.

-alan

On 2/28/06, adamc at unc.edu <adamc at unc.edu> wrote:

> I won't suggest I know what's going on, but there does seem to be
> something funky with either the startup.jar or FC4's eclipse
> executable, since I get the same error if I specify various
> combinations of the Sun VM with the -vm /path/to/sun/java argument and
> the -cp /path/to/different/startup.jar.  I peeked in the their
> startup.jar, and it *DOES* contain a Main-Class attribute in the
> manifest, so I'm inclined to blame the executable.
>
> I've always installed eclipse from the tarball on eclipse.org along
> with a Sun JDK (in the opposite order; and I set
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH to make sure that "java" picks up Sun's
> binary), and it works fine for me.
>
> HTH
>
> AC
>

> Quoting Alan Hoyle <alanh at email.unc.edu>:

> I have a fresh FC4 install including Eclipse.
>
> When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:
>
>   $ eclipse
>   Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar

   Alan Hoyle  -  alanh at unc.edu  -  http://www.alanhoyle.com/
                Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.