[unclug] (no subject)

adamc at unc.edu adamc at unc.edu
Tue Feb 28 19:59:36 EST 2006

I won't suggest I know what's going on, but there does seem to be
something funky with either the startup.jar or FC4's eclipse
executable, since I get the same error if I specify various
combinations of the Sun VM with the -vm /path/to/sun/java argument and
the -cp /path/to/different/startup.jar.  I peeked in the their
startup.jar, and it *DOES* contain a Main-Class attribute in the
manifest, so I'm inclined to blame the executable.

I've always installed eclipse from the tarball on eclipse.org along
with a Sun JDK (in the opposite order; and I set
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH to make sure that "java" picks up Sun's
binary), and it works fine for me.

HTH

AC

Quoting Alan Hoyle <alanh at email.unc.edu>:

I have a fresh FC4 install including Eclipse.

When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:

  $ eclipse
  Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar