[unclug] growing the LUG

bil hays at ibiblio.org
Sat Apr 29 08:20:29 EDT 2006

If you need a faculty sponsor, I'm willing. Also to help get/manage web
space on ibiblio, and if you want to hold evening meetings, I might be able
to get a room in Sitterson.

But I also agree with Todd--I'm already not making meetings I'm committed
to, so I might make some, but certainly not all.

I'm the sponsor of the mac user's group. FWIW, trying to get something
started in summer is a good idea, but there are fewer folks around (mainly
faculty and student populations are reduced). Don't underestimate how much
time it will take, or how important it is to have a core group of really
committed folks to keep something like this going....

One suggestion would be rather than trying to get the group together first,
instead come up with a list of topics and people willing to present them
and gauge interest on this list or ctc. It's awkward once you have a
regular meeting set up when there's nothing much to talk about. AFS issues
would likely be a good topic (authentication, nat issues as well as
installation issues). Integrating samba into AD or into AFS would be
another, I think, as would firewalls/attack mitigation.

Also, the cs students have a linux group, and there's a unccs.linux group,
you might contact them for input/coordination.

As an aside, in terms of student exposure to linux, it might be worth
making a list of courses that do at least touch on it.

And, yes, I realize that ideas are cheap and it's the work that's hard. (;

bil

--On Friday, April 28, 2006 8:12 PM -0400 unclug-request at lists.ibiblio.org