[unclug] VPN client under linux and library e-journals

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Wed Jun 1 11:12:17 EDT 2005

Andrew Perrin wrote:

> I just installed the vpn client on my home machine. I would have expected
> that the library's e-journals page would therefore give me "local" access
> to online journal services, but it doesn't - I still get the proxy page.
> As far as I can tell, the client is up and working:
>
> aperrin at joehill:~$ vpnclient stat
> Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045)
> Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
> Client Type(s): Linux
> Running on: Linux 2.6.8 #1 Wed Apr 13 15:58:34 EDT 2005 i686
> Config file directory: /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient

I don't think its a problem with VPN.  IIRC the library requires the use
of their proxy (check their documentation) regardless of the VPN client.
  I think the reason is that the VPN is configured for split tunnelling
and many resources accessible through the library proxy are in
non-campus IP space.  Hence traffic to them will not be going through
your IP stack configured for local campus addresses.

Jeff