[unclug] building a kernel

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 28 16:57:00 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

> I'm trying to build a 2.6.12 kernel with PCMCIA support, ACPI, and support
> for a Prism2.5 chipset wireless card for my ThinkPad T30 (CCI from 2002).
> Any suggestions or thoughts?

Hi Cristobal,

Since I know you use Debian, why not just use the Debian 2.6.12 stock
kernels, just released into unstable? Note that if you are using udev,
then you'll need to use the version of udev released into unstable.

Otherwise, of course, compile with kernel-package.

BTW, is there some reason to use 2.6.12 instead of the 2.6.8 released with
sarge?

Also, are you aware that Debian has some Thinkpad specific drivers for
Thinkpads? Try

apt-cache search thinkpad

Also, note that module-assistant is a nifty (and easy) way to compile
modules.

BTW, you'd get more replies on a Debian-specific forum.

                                                                 Faheem.