[unclug] LaTeX help?

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:02:54 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

> I had the bright idea of turning in my Discrete Math homework as
> neatly-printed LaTeX documents instead of pen-and-paper.
>
> If you want to see my actual problem, look below.

Look below where?

> Suffice it to say that I
> gave up after about an hour and a half of googling and www.tug.org
> browsing, and was wondering if anybody either knew the answer or could
> suggest another reference.

Did you try posting to comp.text.tex?

> I got stuck trying to get $x\not{\in}B$ to render correctly. It should
> look like an epsilon with a slash through it, but LaTeX doesn't seem to
> realize how big the "Is an element of" character is, so the slash doesn't
> go through the middle.

Try \notin. Suggestion: if you don't have a good latex book, get yourself
one (or better, two or three). I have "A Guide into Latex", "Math into
Latex", and am considering buying the new edition of "the Latex
Companion".

Pg 459 of "Math into Latex" has a table of operators (A.2.3 Negated
Binary Operators). It took me about a minute to find this information.

Googling is very useful; I do it all the time, but it is not a substitute
for a good book. HTH.

                                                                Faheem.