[unclug] campus proxy server note

Loren Watterson loren_watterson at unc.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:43:12 EST 2004

For those of you using the UNC-CH campus proxy server to get your
Red Hat updates, I wanted to mention a trend that I've noticed where
Red Hat Network is unavailable during the night for some part of
11p until 3a at least once a week.  This happened again last night
where requests to get updates were met with the message below.
Unfortunately, our campus proxy relies on the RHN to verify the
entitlement so we are still reliant on RHN in order to serve out
updates.  I just wanted to mention this to admins who might have
automated the process of getting updates during the night or
schedule updates with RHN and run into problems.

Best,
Loren

Loren Watterson
ITS Research Computing Group           UNC-Chapel Hill
loren_watterson at unc.edu         phone: +1.919.843.2461
www.unc.edu/atn/hpc               fax: +1.919.962.5664

Red Hat Network is currently unavailable for scheduled maintenance.
The servers will be back online by no later than 3:00AM EDT (UTC-4) on
Wednesday, November 17th.

We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.

Thank you for using Red Hat Network.

--the RHN team