[unclug] Setting disk quotas on RedHat Enterprise AS server....

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:15:19 EST 2004

dsandif wrote:

> Has anyone had any success in setting up file and directory quotas on
> RedHat Enterprise AS server?, the current kernel version being
> 2.4.21-20.EL
>
> If so, how did you get the kernel to compile and accept disk quota
> setup?,

I never tried to get quotas to work, but was reading about them
the other day. According to the docs this is already supported
in rhel3, here is the admin section on this:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-disk-quotas.html

once you get the kernel happy, how do you get the system to
> accept the "edquota -u user" disk space restrictions and make them
> active? I have done lots for searches on this and followed directions to
> the letter but to no avail. The hold up is this crazy kernel (which by
> the way you can't change it otherwise it will void the Redhat support!).
> Did my adjustments in fstab, created my "quota.user & quota.group file
> in sbin, remounted home and rebooted system and still no luck. Thxs for
> you input.
>
> D-

John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175
Phone: 919-962-1844             Sitterson Hall; Room 044
Fax:   919-962-1799             Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175