[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache? -- credentials encrypted?

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 3 10:40:52 EST 2004

Joe Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:

<snip>
> | servers. I just wanted a simple way when going to port 80 to go to
> | port 443 like Jeff did. I think there is some issue in apaceh 2.x.
>
> All you should need is the following then...
>
> ----
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
> RedirectMatch permanent .* https://newsitename$1
> </VirtualHost>
> ----
>
> All other environment variables will get inherited, so nothing else to
> define inside of that virtual host container.
<snip>
> Joe Morris, Web Systems Manager
> Academic Technology and Networks
> The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

I hate to drudge this issue up again, but say you do the above:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
RedirectMatch permanent .* https://newsitename$1
</VirtualHost>

but your index page requires a login (via any of the auth modules, say,
mod_auth_ldap for example).  I notice that when I have the above virtual
host set, I do indeed get the redirect but I don't see https in the
address bar (or the lock icon at the bottom right of the browser) until
*after* I authenticate.  How can I tell if my authentication is passing
through the SSL tunnel?

Thanks!
Jeff