[unclug] Unstable RedHat 9 machine

James Jordan jwjordan at bme.unc.edu
Thu Jun 10 12:39:55 EDT 2004

Unfortunately, I am using NFS to mount /var/spool/mail among other
directories. I don't see a way that I could disable NFS without breaking
many services (Sendmail and Amanda being the two most important).
Following your lead, I checked out Google groups and read the
suggestions. I tried running tcpdump on the ports listed by "rpcinfo -p"
looking for errors, but I've yet to see any. At the suggestion of Ben
Aycock in OIS, I wrote a little Perl script to keep a minute-by-minute
log of the output of "ps auxw" which clears every hour. Hopefully
this'll give me a better idea of what is happening when the system
crashes next (I'm sure I won't have to wait long!). James Jordan wrote:

>> I have an unstable RedHat 9 machine acting as my department's primary
>> mail server and DNS server.  Obviously, having this machine crash on a
>> *weekly* basis is unacceptable, and I'm at my wits end trying to figure
>> this one out.  I notice that while no log shows any kinds of errors
>> (that I can find that is), the console occasionally shows this error:
>> "svc: short len 2, dropping request".  Suffice it to say, I have no idea
>> what this means, and Google didn't help.  Does anyone have any idea
>> where I should start, or something specific to look for?  I can say that
>> all this instability seems to have started (though I can be 100% sure)
>> with the replacement of the hard drive after a HD failure.  However, I
>> have run hdparm with numerous options trying to rule out hardware
>> problems, and I haven't seen any errors thus far.  I am running the
>> latest kernel before RedHat moved to EL.  Thanks for any light you can
>> shed on this!

Looking through Google Groups I see some folks mentioning this exact
error as an issue with NFS.  Are you running any NFS services?

Jeff

--
James Jordan
Systems Administrator