[unclug] UNC campus Red Hat site license question

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jun 10 11:57:03 EDT 2004

Andy Ingham wrote:

> Folks --
>
> I'm getting some conflicting information about the *level* of the
> entitlements that come via the UNC campus Red Hat licenses.  Since a
> bunch of folks are already using the licenses, can someone tell me if
> the license entitles you to just the "update" module via RHN or
> additionally the "management" module via RHN.

When you use the campus account you are getting a basic user account,
you lose the admin account. An account is created for you and you are
put in a system group for your department. So you lose the ability to
create groups but you still have the other management funtionality.

> We currently have a dozen ES and WS licenses directly from RH (purchased
> 11/03) that include the "management" component.  Yes, the price is
> *much* better with the campus agreement, but having to step back from
> the management capabilities would be unfortunate.
>
> [BTW, as ES is not covered by the site license, we may be doing some ES
>  > AS migrations.  According to RH tech support, it is a straightforward
> process.  I obviously haven't tried it yet, though.  Let me know if
> anyone is interested in the steps I was told to take.]

Yes, we have one ES system we bought in Dec 2003, as far as I can tell
ES and AS are the same except for marketing and licensing. I want to
make my ES system an AS system, I figured there was some config file
changes and then maybe delete the rhn account and re-register. I would
appreciate the steps.

> So...
>
> Are the "management" features available via the campus licenses?
>
> TIA,
> Andy
>
> Andy Ingham
> Systems Librarian
> University Libraries
> UNC-Chapel Hill
> 919-962-1288
> andy_ingham at unc.edu

John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175
Phone: 919-962-1844             Sitterson Hall; Room 044
Fax:   919-962-1799             Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175