[unclug] Unstable RedHat 9 machine

James Jordan jwjordan at bme.unc.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:02:22 EDT 2004

I have an unstable RedHat 9 machine acting as my department's primary
mail server and DNS server.  Obviously, having this machine crash on a
*weekly* basis is unacceptable, and I'm at my wits end trying to figure
this one out.  I notice that while no log shows any kinds of errors
(that I can find that is), the console occasionally shows this error:
"svc: short len 2, dropping request".  Suffice it to say, I have no idea
what this means, and Google didn't help.  Does anyone have any idea
where I should start, or something specific to look for?  I can say that
all this instability seems to have started (though I can be 100% sure)
with the replacement of the hard drive after a HD failure.  However, I
have run hdparm with numerous options trying to rule out hardware
problems, and I haven't seen any errors thus far.  I am running the
latest kernel before RedHat moved to EL.  Thanks for any light you can
shed on this!

--
James Jordan
Systems Administrator