[unclug] Amanda problem update

James Jordan jwjordan at bme.unc.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:51:30 EST 2004

With the help of John Reuning, I was able to narrow down the problem to
an NIS issue.  It turned out that turning off ypbind allowed Amanda to
run.  This led me to check the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, and change both
services and protocols to "files".  Even though those two options
weren't specfically pointing to "nis files" beforehand, that seemed to
be what they were defaulting to.  After forcing them to go to files
first, restarting ypbind, restarting xinetd, Amanda finally runs without
any problems!  Thanks John, and I hope this little tidbit of info helps
expand the UNC Linux knowledge base out there!

--
James Jordan
Systems Administrator
jwjordan at bme.unc.edu