[unclug] Linux DNS/DHCP question....

Joel Dunn joel_dunn at unc.edu
Fri Jan 9 16:06:17 EST 2004

Guys & Gals, every now and then I get to take off my manager hat and put
on a techie hat, even if it's in support of my own personal LAN at
home.  My user community (i.e. family) can be demanding customers.

I've got a Toshiba server appliance  (SG10), which runs RH6.1, as my
internet gateway.  Been using this for 18 months and it's very nifty and
*much* better than a basic SOHO router :-).  Sometimes I use it's
web-based config interface, and sometimes I do things the "old
fashioned" way.  However, I don't get technical often enough and the
management stuff crowds out the technical bits in my brain.

Here's the scoop.  Roadrunner changed their DNS servers this week (in
the early morning of the 7th).  I've got my gateway set up for DHCP so
when RR changes things (i.e. IP address) that works fine, although they
don't do that often -- I've had the same IP address for over a year.
However, when they changed DNS, my system didn't adjust things.  After
some mental fumbling, I remembered /etc/resolv.conf, and changed the DNS
servers (got the #'s from a neighbor with a Linksys which *did* pick up
the change).  Things still didn't work until I finally remembered (last
night) that I was running a caching named, and after I changed
/etc/named.conf and restarted named, things were hunky-dory again.

So....my question is, Oh Linux Gurus, should my system have noticed the
DNS change *without* an IP address change/lease expiration?  Why do the
Linksys-type boxes pick up those changes?

An ancillary question...in the back of my mind, I remember that UNC now
does not allow DNS references from the outside world, right, due to
attacks last summer?  So I can't use the UNC DNS facilities...right?

--

+ Joel Dunn
+ joel_dunn at unc.edu