[unclug] Red Hat Licensing for UNC-CH

David B. Rankin david.rankin at unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:46:31 EST 2004

Scott. In "FTE" count are we counting every business desktop in the
department *or* only the business desktops that will need to run Linux?

Scott Adams wrote:

> UNC General Administration has come up with a contract with Red Hat for
> licensing of RHL 3 AS and WS.  By Feb 25th we will need to submit a total
> count of licenses needed from UNC-CH to add to this list.  The price will
> be $6.50 for each "FTE" where FTE in this particular case stands for
> Departmentally owned machine.  Though probably not typical in definition,
> this is what was agreed.  With this pricing scheme and understanding of
> FTE's, this is a "doable" situation for UNC-CH.
> Please notice that the typical educational pricing is $25 for WS and $50
> for AS.  Please also note that this situation would allow our faculty, staff, and
> students access for PERSONALLY owned machines without charge to them.
>
> At present ATN is counting the number that they might need from
> their various machines.  Other departments and organizations though will
> need to be counted too.
> (For better or worse) I am going to try and get a "future and current
> need" count of RHL 3 WS and AS licenses.
> If you could respond to this email by Monday 12PM then I will submit the
> number to UNC software acquisitions / ATN or wherever it needs to
> specifically go.
>
> Please send me the following:
> Contact name:
> Department:
> Advanced Server count (est.) for year:
> Work Station count (est.) for year:
> Do you currently own licenses?
> Current AS count:
> Current WS count:
>

> thanks,
> Scott Adams
> SILS

David B. Rankin, CCNA, MCSE, CNE
Associate Director of Distributed Computing
Administrative Information Services
440 W. Franklin Street CB 1150
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-1150
Office Phone = 919.962.2435