[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 10:52:32 EST 2004

Success! John's question made me think!

I am using virtual hosts, (if you use virtual hosts you must have
a virtual host for the primary host or it defaults to the first
virtual host it finds). I put the mod_rewrite in the virtual host
section and it works! Now I can sleep this weekend. Guess this makes
sense so the mod_rewrite is not global, dahhhh!

Thanks for all the help!

#NameVirtualHost 152.2.131.244
NameVirtualHost 152.2.129.13

# define the main server, must be defined!
#<VirtualHost 152.2.131.244>
<VirtualHost 152.2.129.13>
     ServerName lark.cs.unc.edu
     DocumentRoot "/afs/cs.unc.edu/common/doc/www"
     RewriteEngine       on
     RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT}  !^443$
     RewriteRule ^/(.*)          https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [NC,R,L]
</VirtualHost>