[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 10:01:13 EST 2004

The NC is for No Case (case insensitve match), the R is required if
you redirect back to your own site using a http:// URL, (very cryptic, I
had to look this up, then again mod_rewrite is pretty cryptic), the L
is to tell mod_rewrite this is the last rule to process. The
rule:

RewriteCond     %{SERVER_PORT}  !^443$
RewriteRule     ^/(.*)          https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [NC,R,L]

should not cause a loop, if coming in on port 80 it should
re-direct to 443 and coming in on 443 will make the match
false and skip the RewriteRule.