[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache?

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:52:30 EST 2004

John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
> Hey Jeff,
>
> I have been trying to get this to work.
> I am doing some web server upgrades/configurations, I am looking at
> upgrading our apache servers to redhat enterprise 3/apache 2.x.
> I may need the port 80 -> 443 redirection for a project I am working on.
>
> I know I have gotten this mod_rewrite to work in the past on apache 1.3
> but cannot get it to work on a rhel3/apache 2.x server. You can take a
> look at the following link and see the mode_rewrite is turned on. I
> configure a self-signed certificate on my ssl server so
> https://lark.cs.unc.edu works. I cannot get any redirection to work even
> if I do something simple like:
>
> RewriteRule    ^/(.*) http://yahoo.com [L,R,NC]
>
> I turned on rewrite logging and it does not log anything. I opened up
> server-info to .unc.edu so you should be able to see my config at:
>
> http://lark.cs.unc.edu/server-info#mod_rewrite.c
>
> Note I also see a problem with the server-info on rhel3/apache 2.x
> where the core.c module does not fully list my configuration,
> it cuts it off, but the mode_rewrite config is fully shown. Thanks
> for any suggestions.
>
> http://lark.cs.unc.edu/server-info#core.c

John, I'm not sure that it matters but I re-ordered the last bit of the
RewriteRule to [NC,R,L]

Other than that, I don't see what's different about your configuration
that would cause it not to work.  I'm running it ok on a Solaris 8 box
with Apache 2.0.48.  FWIW, I used apxs to compile mod_rewrite rather
than compiling it in with the source.

In httpd.conf do you have ServerName set to:
ServerName lark.cs.unc.edu:80

and Listen set to:

Listen lark.cs.unc.edu:80

And in ssl.conf do you have Servername set to:
ServerName lark.cs.unc.edu

and Listen set to:

Listen lark.cs.unc.edu:443

Jeff