[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:37:47 EST 2004

Hey Jeff,

I have been trying to get this to work.
I am doing some web server upgrades/configurations, I am looking at
upgrading our apache servers to redhat enterprise 3/apache 2.x.
I may need the port 80 -> 443 redirection for a project I am working on.

I know I have gotten this mod_rewrite to work in the past on apache 1.3
but cannot get it to work on a rhel3/apache 2.x server. You can take a
look at the following link and see the mode_rewrite is turned on. I
configure a self-signed certificate on my ssl server so
https://lark.cs.unc.edu works. I cannot get any redirection to work even
if I do something simple like:

RewriteRule    ^/(.*) http://yahoo.com [L,R,NC]

I turned on rewrite logging and it does not log anything. I opened up
server-info to .unc.edu so you should be able to see my config at:

http://lark.cs.unc.edu/server-info#mod_rewrite.c

Note I also see a problem with the server-info on rhel3/apache 2.x
where the core.c module does not fully list my configuration,
it cuts it off, but the mode_rewrite config is fully shown. Thanks
for any suggestions.

http://lark.cs.unc.edu/server-info#core.c