[unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 6 12:36:54 EST 2004

Another handy redirect method if you only want certain directories that
need to go to the https server is to configure a .htaccess file in the
directory like:

<IFDefine INSECURE>
RedirectMatch (.*)$ https://www.cs.unc.edu$1
</IFDefine>

This requires you specify a "-DINSCURE" option to the http server on
startup (httpd -DINSECURE). I run my secure
web server with a "-DSECURE" define and my insecure with a "-DINSECURE"
define. You can then do the following in a .htaccess file:

<IFDefine INSECURE>
RedirectMatch (.*)$ https://www.cs.unc.edu$1
</IFDefine>

<IFDefine SECURE>
AuthUserFile /var/www/.htpasswd
AuthName 'Computer Science UserID:'
AuthType Basic
Satisfy any
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .cs.unc.edu
require valid-user
</IFDefine>

If you access the page on the INSECURE server it redirects you
to the SECURE server which in turn lets you in if you are in the domain
else prompts you for a password. You can use all or parts of this. I
have an explanation at:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/help/www_server_faq.html#Question10