[unclug] Backup Solution

Josh Williams josh at ibiblio.org
Thu Feb 5 12:11:53 EST 2004

> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I'll second this rsync approach. I've been using a modified version of
Mike's script for about a year to backup 2 linux boxes and an os x box.

On slowly changing file systems, the incremental backup takes up just over
1x the space of the original. If your file system changes drastically
with huge files you'll have to be prepared to store large amounts of data
or keep less snaphots.

On my system I'm able to backup about 36G of slowly fluctating data to
a 60G disk on a backup server with a snapshot every 8 hours, a daily
snapshot for the last 3 days and a weekly snapshot for the last 3 weeks.

-josh

Josh Williams
josh at ibiblio.org