[TypicalGirls] 1. Re: 2. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984 (Helen McCookerybook) (Helen McCookerybook)

Cazz Blase cazz.blase at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:14:48 EST 2016


Would I be able to buy one off you? I can email you off list to arrange it
if it's possible.

C.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM, <typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
wrote:

> Send TypicalGirls mailing list submissions to
>         typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         typicalgirls-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of TypicalGirls digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: 2. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK  fanzinewriters,
>       1975-1984 (Helen McCookerybook) (Helen McCookerybook)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 21:52:17 +0000
> From: Helen McCookerybook <helen_mccookerybook at yahoo.co.uk>
> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] 2. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK
>         fanzinewriters, 1975-1984 (Helen McCookerybook)
> Message-ID: <688ED183-470D-4393-9179-130829422642 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Yes, I think I have.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 6 Mar 2016, at 21:49, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wish I'd asked about comix when I was interviewing you now. Especially
> as I've since interviewed Suzy Varty... Do you still have any copies of
> Brenda?
> >
> > Cazz
> >
> >> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM, <typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
> wrote:
> >> Send TypicalGirls mailing list submissions to
> >>         typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >>
> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >>         http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >>         typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org
> >>
> >> You can reach the person managing the list at
> >>         typicalgirls-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
> >>
> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> >> than "Re: Contents of TypicalGirls digest..."
> >>
> >>
> >> Today's Topics:
> >>
> >>    1. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> >>       (Stewart Osborne)
> >>    2. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> >>       (Helen McCookerybook)
> >>    3. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers,
> 1975-1984
> >>       (viv acious)
> >>    4. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers,
> 1975-1984
> >>       (Joly MacFie)
> >>
> >>
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 1
> >> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:39:50 +0000
> >> From: Stewart Osborne <stewart_osborne at btinternet.com>
> >> To: typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK
> >>         fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> >> Message-ID: <etpa1ipdyan0mir0t0oew86b.1456565095487 at email.android.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >>
> >> Joly wrote:
> >>
> >> "At Better Badges I printed a whole bunch of fanzines between 79-82 and
> I
> >> don't think a single one of one of them was female authored?! I never
> >> really thought about it til now".
> >>
> >> I co-authored one of the 'zines that Joly printed (Grinding Halt), and
> likewise I'd never really thought about it before, but I don't remember
> ever encountering any female 'zine writers.
> >>
> >> The closest thing I can think of is that there were a couple of girls
> from Didcot, who we frequently used to meet on the train to and from
> Paddington, from and to Reading, on our way to gigs, who used to run the
> official Stiff Little Fingers fan club and I *think* produced 1 or more
> issues of a fanclub-only 'zine of sorts, because I *think* they asked us if
> they could reproduce one or more of our reviews of / interviews with SLF in
> it (which we were delighted to agree to, of course).
> >>
> >> Their names were Sarah and Jane (I just had to dig out my cooy of
> Nobody's Heroes and check the inner sleeve to refresh my ailing memory),
> but, again, good luck finding them - I made a few enquiries through various
> online SLF forums a few weeks ago, and nobody else seemed to remember them
> at all.
> >>
> >> Stewart (formerly Eddie Snide)
> >>
> >>
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160227/c0293dfd/attachment-0001.html
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 2
> >> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 10:17:45 +0000
> >> From: Helen McCookerybook <helen_mccookerybook at yahoo.co.uk>
> >> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
> >>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK
> >>         fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> >> Message-ID: <4CDCFEDB-653A-4239-937B-92DADC4635D9 at yahoo.co.uk>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
> >>
> >> I used to make comics- Joly printed at least one of them, Brenda.
> >> H MCc
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone
> >>
> >> > On 27 Feb 2016, at 09:39, Stewart Osborne <
> stewart_osborne at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > Joly wrote:
> >> >
> >> > "At Better Badges I printed a whole bunch of fanzines between 79-82
> and I
> >> > don't think a single one of one of them was female authored?! I never
> >> > really thought about it til now".
> >> >
> >> > I co-authored one of the 'zines that Joly printed (Grinding Halt),
> and likewise I'd never really thought about it before, but I don't remember
> ever encountering any female 'zine writers.
> >> >
> >> > The closest thing I can think of is that there were a couple of girls
> from Didcot, who we frequently used to meet on the train to and from
> Paddington, from and to Reading, on our way to gigs, who used to run the
> official Stiff Little Fingers fan club and I *think* produced 1 or more
> issues of a fanclub-only 'zine of sorts, because I *think* they asked us if
> they could reproduce one or more of our reviews of / interviews with SLF in
> it (which we were delighted to agree to, of course).
> >> >
> >> > Their names were Sarah and Jane (I just had to dig out my cooy of
> Nobody's Heroes and check the inner sleeve to refresh my ailing memory),
> but, again, good luck finding them - I made a few enquiries through various
> online SLF forums a few weeks ago, and nobody else seemed to remember them
> at all.
> >> >
> >> > Stewart (formerly Eddie Snide)
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 3
> >> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:26:59 +0000
> >> From: viv acious <aciousviv at gmail.com>
> >> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
> >>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine
> >>         writers,        1975-1984
> >> Message-ID:
> >>         <CALME56dhq2Z7TnFC0_RQ1pDFp5vdjjtFp=
> EpJO_A_JXiLUQPsg at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >>
> >> hi,
> >> there was a fanzine in Coventry called 'Alternative Sounds' can't
> remember
> >> the name of the bloke who ran it, but he did publish a photo I took of
> >> Chrissie Hynde on stage in 1979. i've got the photo but not the mag.
> >> regards,
> >> viv acious (ms)
> >>
> >> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hello,
> >> >
> >> > I'm very new to this list, so I should probably introduce myself.
> >> >
> >> > My name is Cazz Blase, I wrote a five part series on women and UK
> punk for
> >> > the F-Word website (www.thefword.org.uk) between 2010 and 2011. I'm
> in
> >> > the process of turning the series into a book, and for that, I need
> more
> >> > interviewees.
> >> >
> >> > Because I'm interested in how women contributed to the growing
> mythology
> >> > of punk, I'm interested in speaking to female fanzine writers who were
> >> > writing punk fanzines in the UK at anytime between 1975 and 1984.
> >> >
> >> > I've tracked a few people down, and I realise it's likely to be a very
> >> > small group of people to draw from in any case, but...
> >> >
> >> > I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
> More
> >> > On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.
> >> >
> >> > If anyone happens to have a lead on how I might track them down, I'd
> be
> >> > very, very grateful indeed.
> >> >
> >> > Thank you very much,
> >> >
> >> > Cazz
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Cazz Blase
> >> > Writer and journalist
> >> > http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
> >> > http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
> >> > cazz.blase at gmail.com
> >> >
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >> >
> >> >
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160301/10a9672d/attachment-0001.html
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 4
> >> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 00:09:44 -0500
> >> From: Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com>
> >> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
> >>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine
> >>         writers,        1975-1984
> >> Message-ID:
> >>         <CAM9VJk35fz-bEUDv4sDNG6NYrjOPwWMx0H=
> 0An78jjbup1QLRw at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >>
> >> ?Here in NYC things are a little different.
> >>
> >> There were a bunch of girls doing a zine in 1980. One of them Gabby,
> came
> >> to work for me at Better Badges.
> >> She later played guitar for Luscious Jackson. I don
> >> ?'
> >> t have a contact but I see her around occasionally. ?
> >>
> >> ?Then there was Nancy Breslow, who did Short Newz?. She also came to
> London
> >> and worked at BB, became our east coast rep.
> >>
> >> More recently, Wendy, Guillotine.
> http://www.guillotinezine.com/about-us/
> >>
> >> But I'm still drawing a blank on UK efforts, beyond Gee and
> International
> >> Anthem - not a fanzine per se.
> >>
> >> j
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM, viv acious <aciousviv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> > hi,
> >> > there was a fanzine in Coventry called 'Alternative Sounds' can't
> remember
> >> > the name of the bloke who ran it, but he did publish a photo I took of
> >> > Chrissie Hynde on stage in 1979. i've got the photo but not the mag.
> >> > regards,
> >> > viv acious (ms)
> >> >
> >> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hello,
> >> >>
> >> >> I'm very new to this list, so I should probably introduce myself.
> >> >>
> >> >> My name is Cazz Blase, I wrote a five part series on women and UK
> punk
> >> >> for the F-Word website (www.thefword.org.uk) between 2010 and 2011.
> I'm
> >> >> in the process of turning the series into a book, and for that, I
> need more
> >> >> interviewees.
> >> >>
> >> >> Because I'm interested in how women contributed to the growing
> mythology
> >> >> of punk, I'm interested in speaking to female fanzine writers who
> were
> >> >> writing punk fanzines in the UK at anytime between 1975 and 1984.
> >> >>
> >> >> I've tracked a few people down, and I realise it's likely to be a
> very
> >> >> small group of people to draw from in any case, but...
> >> >>
> >> >> I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
> >> >> More On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.
> >> >>
> >> >> If anyone happens to have a lead on how I might track them down, I'd
> be
> >> >> very, very grateful indeed.
> >> >>
> >> >> Thank you very much,
> >> >>
> >> >> Cazz
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >> Cazz Blase
> >> >> Writer and journalist
> >> >> http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
> >> >> http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
> >> >> cazz.blase at gmail.com
> >> >>
> >> >> _______________________________________________
> >> >> TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> >> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> >> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------
> >> -
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160302/a3085117/attachment.html
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Subject: Digest Footer
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> End of TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 426, Issue 1
> >> ********************************************
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Cazz Blase
> > Writer and journalist
> > http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
> > http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
> > cazz.blase at gmail.com
> > _______________________________________________
> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160306/dbf51738/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> TypicalGirls mailing list
> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 426, Issue 7
> ********************************************
>



-- 
Cazz Blase
Writer and journalist
http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
cazz.blase at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160306/8e0930bc/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the TypicalGirls mailing list