[TypicalGirls] 1. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984 (Stewart Osborne)

Cazz Blase cazz.blase at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 16:47:38 EST 2016


Hi Stewart,

I think you've kind of nailed what the problem is: People used first names
only a lot of the time (or pseudonyms, which creates similar problems re
tracking people down) and it was all very casual and low key. It's slightly
(though not entirely) easier with people in bands because there tends to be
more of a long term imprint on people's memories or in terms of recordings
of music, documentation in media form, etc. Or that's what I've found
anyway.

Was the Stiff Little Fingers fanzine called Nobody's Heroes? there are a
few archives that hold punk fanzines so I'd be interested to know.

Many thanks,

Cazz

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM, <typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
wrote:

> Send TypicalGirls mailing list submissions to
>         typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         typicalgirls-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         typicalgirls-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of TypicalGirls digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
>       (Stewart Osborne)
>    2. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
>       (Helen McCookerybook)
>    3. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers,        1975-1984
>       (viv acious)
>    4. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers,        1975-1984
>       (Joly MacFie)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:39:50 +0000
> From: Stewart Osborne <stewart_osborne at btinternet.com>
> To: typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK
>         fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> Message-ID: <etpa1ipdyan0mir0t0oew86b.1456565095487 at email.android.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Joly wrote:
>
> "At Better Badges I printed a whole bunch of fanzines between 79-82 and I
> don't think a single one of one of them was female authored?! I never
> really thought about it til now".
>
> I co-authored one of the 'zines that Joly printed (Grinding Halt), and
> likewise I'd never really thought about it before, but I don't remember
> ever encountering any female 'zine writers.
>
> The closest thing I can think of is that there were a couple of girls from
> Didcot, who we frequently used to meet on the train to and from Paddington,
> from and to Reading, on our way to gigs, who used to run the official Stiff
> Little Fingers fan club and I *think* produced 1 or more issues of a
> fanclub-only 'zine of sorts, because I *think* they asked us if they could
> reproduce one or more of our reviews of / interviews with SLF in it (which
> we were delighted to agree to, of course).
>
> Their names were Sarah and Jane (I just had to dig out my cooy of Nobody's
> Heroes and check the inner sleeve to refresh my ailing memory), but, again,
> good luck finding them - I made a few enquiries through various online SLF
> forums a few weeks ago, and nobody else seemed to remember them at all.
>
> Stewart (formerly Eddie Snide)
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160227/c0293dfd/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 10:17:45 +0000
> From: Helen McCookerybook <helen_mccookerybook at yahoo.co.uk>
> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK
>         fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
> Message-ID: <4CDCFEDB-653A-4239-937B-92DADC4635D9 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
>
> I used to make comics- Joly printed at least one of them, Brenda.
> H MCc
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 27 Feb 2016, at 09:39, Stewart Osborne <
> stewart_osborne at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Joly wrote:
> >
> > "At Better Badges I printed a whole bunch of fanzines between 79-82 and I
> > don't think a single one of one of them was female authored?! I never
> > really thought about it til now".
> >
> > I co-authored one of the 'zines that Joly printed (Grinding Halt), and
> likewise I'd never really thought about it before, but I don't remember
> ever encountering any female 'zine writers.
> >
> > The closest thing I can think of is that there were a couple of girls
> from Didcot, who we frequently used to meet on the train to and from
> Paddington, from and to Reading, on our way to gigs, who used to run the
> official Stiff Little Fingers fan club and I *think* produced 1 or more
> issues of a fanclub-only 'zine of sorts, because I *think* they asked us if
> they could reproduce one or more of our reviews of / interviews with SLF in
> it (which we were delighted to agree to, of course).
> >
> > Their names were Sarah and Jane (I just had to dig out my cooy of
> Nobody's Heroes and check the inner sleeve to refresh my ailing memory),
> but, again, good luck finding them - I made a few enquiries through various
> online SLF forums a few weeks ago, and nobody else seemed to remember them
> at all.
> >
> > Stewart (formerly Eddie Snide)
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:26:59 +0000
> From: viv acious <aciousviv at gmail.com>
> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine
>         writers,        1975-1984
> Message-ID:
>         <CALME56dhq2Z7TnFC0_RQ1pDFp5vdjjtFp=
> EpJO_A_JXiLUQPsg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> hi,
> there was a fanzine in Coventry called 'Alternative Sounds' can't remember
> the name of the bloke who ran it, but he did publish a photo I took of
> Chrissie Hynde on stage in 1979. i've got the photo but not the mag.
> regards,
> viv acious (ms)
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm very new to this list, so I should probably introduce myself.
> >
> > My name is Cazz Blase, I wrote a five part series on women and UK punk
> for
> > the F-Word website (www.thefword.org.uk) between 2010 and 2011. I'm in
> > the process of turning the series into a book, and for that, I need more
> > interviewees.
> >
> > Because I'm interested in how women contributed to the growing mythology
> > of punk, I'm interested in speaking to female fanzine writers who were
> > writing punk fanzines in the UK at anytime between 1975 and 1984.
> >
> > I've tracked a few people down, and I realise it's likely to be a very
> > small group of people to draw from in any case, but...
> >
> > I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
> More
> > On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.
> >
> > If anyone happens to have a lead on how I might track them down, I'd be
> > very, very grateful indeed.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Cazz
> >
> > --
> > Cazz Blase
> > Writer and journalist
> > http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
> > http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
> > cazz.blase at gmail.com
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160301/10a9672d/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 00:09:44 -0500
> From: Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com>
> To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa
>         1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine
>         writers,        1975-1984
> Message-ID:
>         <CAM9VJk35fz-bEUDv4sDNG6NYrjOPwWMx0H=
> 0An78jjbup1QLRw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> ?Here in NYC things are a little different.
>
> There were a bunch of girls doing a zine in 1980. One of them Gabby, came
> to work for me at Better Badges.
> She later played guitar for Luscious Jackson. I don
> ?'
> t have a contact but I see her around occasionally. ?
>
> ?Then there was Nancy Breslow, who did Short Newz?. She also came to London
> and worked at BB, became our east coast rep.
>
> More recently, Wendy, Guillotine. http://www.guillotinezine.com/about-us/
>
> But I'm still drawing a blank on UK efforts, beyond Gee and International
> Anthem - not a fanzine per se.
>
> j
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM, viv acious <aciousviv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > there was a fanzine in Coventry called 'Alternative Sounds' can't
> remember
> > the name of the bloke who ran it, but he did publish a photo I took of
> > Chrissie Hynde on stage in 1979. i've got the photo but not the mag.
> > regards,
> > viv acious (ms)
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm very new to this list, so I should probably introduce myself.
> >>
> >> My name is Cazz Blase, I wrote a five part series on women and UK punk
> >> for the F-Word website (www.thefword.org.uk) between 2010 and 2011. I'm
> >> in the process of turning the series into a book, and for that, I need
> more
> >> interviewees.
> >>
> >> Because I'm interested in how women contributed to the growing mythology
> >> of punk, I'm interested in speaking to female fanzine writers who were
> >> writing punk fanzines in the UK at anytime between 1975 and 1984.
> >>
> >> I've tracked a few people down, and I realise it's likely to be a very
> >> small group of people to draw from in any case, but...
> >>
> >> I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
> >> More On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.
> >>
> >> If anyone happens to have a lead on how I might track them down, I'd be
> >> very, very grateful indeed.
> >>
> >> Thank you very much,
> >>
> >> Cazz
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cazz Blase
> >> Writer and journalist
> >> http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
> >> http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
> >> cazz.blase at gmail.com
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> TypicalGirls mailing list
> >> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> >> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >>
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > TypicalGirls mailing list
> > TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> -
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160302/a3085117/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> TypicalGirls mailing list
> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 426, Issue 1
> ********************************************
>



-- 
Cazz Blase
Writer and journalist
http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
cazz.blase at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/typicalgirls/attachments/20160306/980022e0/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the TypicalGirls mailing list