[TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers, 1975-1984

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Mar 2 00:09:44 EST 2016

​Here in NYC things are a little different.

There were a bunch of girls doing a zine in 1980. One of them Gabby, came
to work for me at Better Badges.
She later played guitar for Luscious Jackson. I don
​'
t have a contact but I see her around occasionally. ​

​Then there was Nancy Breslow, who did Short Newz​. She also came to London
and worked at BB, became our east coast rep.

More recently, Wendy, Guillotine. http://www.guillotinezine.com/about-us/

But I'm still drawing a blank on UK efforts, beyond Gee and International
Anthem - not a fanzine per se.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM, viv acious <aciousviv at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> there was a fanzine in Coventry called 'Alternative Sounds' can't remember
> the name of the bloke who ran it, but he did publish a photo I took of
> Chrissie Hynde on stage in 1979. i've got the photo but not the mag.
> regards,
> viv acious (ms)
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Cazz Blase <cazz.blase at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm very new to this list, so I should probably introduce myself.
>>
>> My name is Cazz Blase, I wrote a five part series on women and UK punk
>> for the F-Word website (www.thefword.org.uk) between 2010 and 2011. I'm
>> in the process of turning the series into a book, and for that, I need more
>> interviewees.
>>
>> Because I'm interested in how women contributed to the growing mythology
>> of punk, I'm interested in speaking to female fanzine writers who were
>> writing punk fanzines in the UK at anytime between 1975 and 1984.
>>
>> I've tracked a few people down, and I realise it's likely to be a very
>> small group of people to draw from in any case, but...
>>
>> I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
>> More On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.
>>
>> If anyone happens to have a lead on how I might track them down, I'd be
>> very, very grateful indeed.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Cazz
>>
>> --
>> Cazz Blase
>> Writer and journalist
>> http://cazzblase.blogspot.co.uk/
>> http://toolateforcake.wordpress.com
>> cazz.blase at gmail.com

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast