[TypicalGirls] [ari-up] RE: Ari Up ( Not forgoten )

Dina Hornreich dina.hornreich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 21:04:58 EDT 2013

I think there could be a typical girls themed museum exhibit, but I don't
have the wherewithal to make it happen. There have been several punk
oriented exhibits all over including the one with Penelope Houston here in
Denver at MCA (Museum of Contemporary Arts).

In light of the publication of the recent Riot Grrrl Archive/Book, there
surely exists a demand for the ephemera of the punk age(s). Even if the
"typical girls" defy conventionality this seems like an a propos homage to
Ari, Poly, and everyone else we adore.

Dina

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> A Typical Girls Hall of Fame? Not a bad idea.
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM, <polyesternegs at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>  Thanks for the welcome, j
>>

>> That is a very good point . The last thing Ari needs is acceptance in a
>> place that she does not fit or believe in.
>>
>> I guess that’s the dilemma really. She needs to be historically
>>  recognized and it should have been done long before now. The problem seems
>> to be how to accomplish that in a way that shows respect and gratitude.
>>
>> That is were I was hoping that somehow ,somewhere there is a place were
>> that could be accomplished.
>>
>> In general what is needed is a musical hall of fame that is not related
>> to one or just a few music types or styles.
>>
>> Is there such a place or am I just hoping for a place that does not exist
>> ?
>>
>> Is there a starting point even ?  A place were I could even ask or lay
>> down a request for such ?
>>
>> Hate to ask so many question  but I am willing to do the leg work to at
>> find out if it is possible or a consideration at any place that is
>> honorable or acceptable with Ari ,her fans and family.
>>

>> --- In ari-up at yahoogroups.com, <joly at ...> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Reg.
>>
>> Thanks for joining, and writing.
>>
>> Which Hall of Fame were you thinking of? I am not sure the Rock and Roll
>> would be appropriate, since Ari's milieu was very much the antithesis of
>> that.

>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Craig Barson <polyesternegs at ...> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>             My nickname is Reg and I am new to the group. Looking at the
>> last post dated 1-17-11 I do wonder if this post will be noticed ? Anyhow
>> matter it not just thought I would drop a line and state that I am a big
>> fan of Ari Up. She was an extremely talented artist and fa-nominalsinger
>> who's mission still caries on in all are hart.
>> Her music came from here soul and was light years ahead of its time.
>> Ari's vision of what was possible came at an age when most of us are
>> just figuring out, who we are.
>> I know it has been a few years from her tragic passing but have none the
>> less is the pain it still carries.
>> Let us not forget that Ari was on a mission and that her goal was not
>> that of cash profit from her art.
>> She has opened many a door for other females to express them self's musically
>> and on stage.
>> All in all my point being is why is Ari Up not in the hall of fame ? With
>> all she has given to so many.
>> If anyone has any ideas of how you go about making this happen please
>> drop a line.
>> It is always best to let someone know how much they are appreciated while
>> they walk the earth.
>> Opinions on this are greatly appreciated.
>> Together we can help Ari, for fill her mission that time cut her short
>> on.
>>
>> Thanks to all for letting me join the group and Love Forever,

> [...]

Dina L. Hornreich
dina.hornreich at gmail.com
http://portfolio.du.edu/dhornrei