[TypicalGirls] The Lost Women of Rock Music: Female Musicians of the Punk Era

Dina Hornreich dina.hornreich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:39:44 EDT 2012

Yes, I posted Helen's announcement of the paperback version a few months
back. What I find particularly interesting is the amount of violence
against women that took place in the punk scene. It seems pretty prominent
in this discussion, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. Also,
the punk establishment as a bastion of white male aggression is interesting.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Stella <stellapace7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guyz,
>     This book looks awesome...
>
> The Lost Women of Rock Music: Female Musicians of the Punk Era
>
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Women-Rock-Music/dp/1845539575/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350721362&sr=8-1&keywords=women+punk+music
>

> "In the late 1970s and early 1980s a new phenomenon emerged in UK popular
> music – female guitarists, bass-players, keyboard-players and drummers
> began playing in bands. Before this time, women’s presence in rock bands,
> with a few notable exceptions, had always been as vocalists. This sudden
> influx of female musicians into the male domain of rock music was brought
> about by the enabling ethic of punk rock (“anybody can do it!”) and by the
> impact of the Sex Discrimination Act. With the demise of the punk scene,
> interest in these musicians evaporated and other priorities became
> important to music audiences. This book investigates the social and
> commercial reasons why these women became lost from the rock music record,
> and rewrites this period of popular music history.
>
> In addition to a wealth of original interview material with key
> protagonists, including the late John Peel, Geoff Travis, The Raincoats and
> Poison Girls, this new edition has been updated to include interviews with
> members of Birmingham-based band The Au Pairs, Leeds-based band Delta 5 and
> Viv Albertine of The Slits. Lucy Whitman (aka Lucy Toothpaste), who started
> the fanzine Jolt and later wrote for Spare Rib, also provides enlightening
> words on the relationship between female punk band members and feminism.
> The author also draws on her own experience as bass-player in a punk band."
> - (from the Amazon page)

Dina L. Hornreich
dina.hornreich at gmail.com
http://portfolio.du.edu/dhornrei