[TypicalGirls] Women in New York's Late-'70s No Wave Scene

Erin Burns erinflemingburns at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:06:38 EST 2012

Hello all!

First of all, I don't want to clog folks' email inboxes, so if you're
interested in joining the conversation, just leave a comment at:

http://ribbonaroundabomb.com/2012/02/23/in-the-mood-for-femme-no-wave/

and we can continue over there for people interested in the topic!  Joly-
good question.  I think Talk Normal makes kind of scary music.  If you look
at bands like Tribe 8, having dudes in the audience suck on one of their
strap-ons was probably scary (in a theatrical/performance sense) at the
time?  I still think it's a different standard and different (better?) type
of "scary" for women though.

-Erin

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> Begs the question - which contemporary female musicians are genuinely
> "SCARY".
>
> But I wonder if that's a valid criterion for creativity, period. Scariness
> was a barrier to overturn at the time, and it was, and well trampled into
> the ground. Perhaps there are new challenges?

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Erin Burns <erinflemingburns at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Please check out my blog post for today on women in No Wave and punk in
>> general, and join the conversation in the comments.  My "theory" about
>> women in aggressive music could quite possibly be totally flawed!  (Also,
>> please kill me for accidentally leaving out awesome all-female No Wave band
>> Y Pants.)
>>
>> http://ribbonaroundabomb.com/2012/02/23/in-the-mood-for-femme-no-wave/
>>
>> Thanks everyone!
>>
>> -Erin
>>
>> --
>> Erin Fleming Burns
>> FAMSF
>> http://ribbonaroundabomb.com/

> --
> Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
> WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
>  http://pinstand.com - http://punkcast.com
>  VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org

Erin Fleming Burns