[TypicalGirls] Ari-Up tribute

Jessica Speer speer.jessica at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 17:36:02 EST 2010

Hi Dina!

I'm a recent MLIS grad with an interest in digital archives (especially of
these kinds of collections!) as well, and I'd love to be involved.

The NEH has a lot of digital humanities grants that might be helpful,
especially if you're doing something novel or that pushes the envelope in
terms of execution (something I'm considering in digitizing the collections
of my husband's DIY label). I've had a brain itch for a while now about
distributed online archives, like a wiki archive almost, that allows for
people all over to add their parts of the collection themselves, with a
small amount of controlled vocabulary and administration from a central
node. I wrote a project proposal for my label archive for a digital
libraries/archives class last year and am happy to help with grant-writing,
project proposal writing, etc. I tend to nerd out on technical specs and
have loads of stuff about how to "properly" archive audio files if you want
to get really profesh about it.

In terms of hosting and putting stuff online, you should look into
Collective Access http://www.collectiveaccess.org/ (full disclosure, one of
my best friends does the metadata there, so I'm partial to them. They are
RIGOROUS.) But, if you want to avoid bothering with hosting, Omeka has just
started an online hosting service: http://omeka.net/ for easier, one-click
archive-building. Anyway, it might be possible, using either of these, to
make something that people can really easily add to themselves if they have
things to add.

Kathleen Hanna is doing a pretty simple "archive" for Bikini Kill on
Wordpress that encourages submissions:
http://bikinikillarchive.wordpress.com/

Aaaaannnddd: Barnard Zine Library: http://www.barnard.edu/library/zines/
The librarian, Jenna Freedman, is rad rad rad in all the senses of the word
and they have a good collection. She also knows a lot of other zine
librarians and zinesters, so she would be a great resource in general.

I am in the midst of moving from NYC to Chicago, but, for reals, this is
something I am really into nerding out about (and great work on your subject
terms list!), so do let me know how I can help. I will be way more available
come January when my moving madness has settled a bit.

Jess

jessicaspeer.info