[TypicalGirls] Ari-Up tribute

Sharon Cheslow decomposition at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 8 15:47:09 EST 2010

Hi Dina,

 From my experience working with academic media archives, I'm sure you
can get support (and maybe funding) through your school.  Check with
any of the following departments: music, musicology, ethnomusicology,
art history, women's studies.  See what digital archives they already
have and how they can help you.  They might be able to offer support
through work study students who can help with scanning, digitizing,
processing, web design, etc., and your school might be able to help
you with server space/electronic finding aids.  But then you have to
deal with whether the artifacts become part of the school archives or
whether you maintain some sort of independent archive.

See if there are already partnerships or collaborative efforts
between library/info science and any of those other departments.
There are also probably specific groups at your school library that
are dedicated to digital archives or oral history and can offer
assistance.  Find a professor in your grad program or in another
dept. at your school who can supervise you.

If you look at the history of the Dada Archive at Univ. of Iowa (very
cool, btw! thanks for the link), it says:
"Under the direction of Professor Kuenzli and the curatorship of
Timothy Shipe, the activities of the International Dada Archive have
been made possible through generous financial support by various
agencies of the University, The University of Iowa Foundation, the
Jerome Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities. In
addition, the administration and staff of the University Libraries
have given their full cooperation in countless ways; the project
would have been inconceivable without this enthusiastic support."

You say you want to start small, which is a great idea.  You might
want to start with a small website, with some artifacts and links.
You'll need a way to organize, store, and catalog things.  You'll
eventually want a way for people to do searches.  You'll need to deal
with intellectual copyright issues.  I don't know how it works at
your school, but I did an internship at the UCLA Ethnomusicology
Archive and also worked with digital archives at Stanford Univ., and
there was by necessity collaboration among various departments, IT
services, and library services.  So you shouldn't need to start from
scratch.

But if you decide to host your own archive, you'll need to ask one of
the professors in your grad program how you can continue this project
once you're out of school.  If you have any questions, feel free to
call me.

Sharon