[TypicalGirls] "Behind the Lens, In the Spotlight" panel discussion moderated by Vivien Goldman

Eleanor W. killerfemme at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 10:14:57 EDT 2009

Dear All,

On top of all the Raincoats/Slits excitement, I have some other exciting news to add to the mix that I hope you can factor in to your Halloween plans if you are in NYC.

On Saturday, October 31st at 2 p.m. the Brooklyn Museum will be holding a panel discussion exploring women's image in rock entitled "Behind the Lens, in the Spotlight" in conjunction with our brand new special exhibition "Who Shot Rock and Roll: A Photographic History, 1955 to the Present." More about the exhibit here: http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/rock_and_roll/

The Vivien Goldman will be moderating and photographers Jill Furmanovsky and Kate Simon will be speaking, along with musicians Tamar Kali (of many great bands and featured in the Afropunk documentary) and Ingrid Dahl (of Boyskout, among other great bands and projects). More about the panel here: http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/calendar/event/2624

Following the panel at 4 p.m. there is a screening of a very, very rare documentary called "Anything Boys Can Do," which features bands such as Tribe 8 and Vitapup and other from the Lower East Side underground scene in the 1990's. I feel like this documentary provides a great snapshot of that place and time and even though I was somewhat involved in punk at the time, I'd never heard of a lot of these bands. The filmmaker, Ethan Minsker, will be discussing the film. More about the film here: http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/calendar/event/2625

The panel and film are free with Museum admission (which is on a pay-what-you-wish basis) and I do hope I'll see a lot of NYC "typicals" there. You'll know me by my Museum ID!

Thanks for spreading the word and hope to see you then!
Best,
Eleanor