[TypicalGirls] Downtown Calling

Tim B, NYC tjb81 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 15:39:24 EDT 2009

It's a wee bit off topic but I think a lot of us would be interested in a new doc called Downtown Calling. It covers the NY downtown underground creative scene from the mid 70's to the mid 80's, and it looks like they've done a fairly thorough job of it. I've also been told by some reliable sources that the film is very good. Click over to http://downtowncalling.com/site/ to see the trailer.

Synopsis: In the late 1970s, the “greatest city in the world” was teetering
on the edge of total chaos. A failed economy, crime and en mass housing
corruption gave way to a city in crisis. Yet out of the economic and
social strife that held the “Big Apple” hostage, a family of homegrown
cultures that would forever change the world began to emerge. Downtown
Calling not only documents, in detail, the evolution of New York City’s
fertile music and art subculture during this period, but how its
collective output continues to play a prominent, driving role in the
international fashion, art and music industries today.

Tim B, NYC/Karate Boogaloo!
My LinkedIn.com info
Stupefaction