[TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

Sharon Cheslow decomposition at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 05:02:02 EST 2008

Really well said Weasel.  I think it's why I was so enamored of the
Slits when I first heard them.  It was like deciphering a puzzle.
They had great, unique musical ideas.  And the way they progressed
was so incredible, from their early chaotic punk sounds to the freer,
jazzier, reggae-ish sounds.  Ari also deserves credit for her work
with New Age Steppers who were light years ahead of their time.

I can relate to what Robin and Annette write about the chaos of just
getting up on stage and PLAYING.  One of the things that was so great
about punk was that the stage became a place where you could
experiment.  You didn't have to know how to be in a band.  You could
just get up there and play.  Even if you knew how to play your
instrument, it was an entirely different world to get up  on stage to
play, and most girls didn't know who to navigate that world.  It was
very liberating.

I'm so envious of Robin and Annette for getting to see the Slits live
at the Roxy!  Thanks for all the history.

Sharon