[TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

robin dudley rodudley at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:48:55 EST 2008

yes, mike and j neo have a great grasp of the actual situation. that is basically what i was trying to describe. "can't play" meant exactly what you described, not that people actually couldn't play - though some WERE pretty rough. however it got to be a bit of oneupmanship about who had practiced least before jumping onstage. as a lot of people have pointed out who were also there at the time, the real energy surge was amazing and VERY short-lived! after that the cliches set in big time. even years later the "this band is so awful they're great" was repeated ad nauseam.

what the slits REALLY "couldn't" at the beginning was figure out being onstage!! paloma didn't know to secure her drums, and half her fury was because they kept moving away from her! no one could hear anything or had any idea how to deal with the stage environment or equipment. practice they did, with a reeltoreel tape recorder for an amp and a bunch of borrowed gear. hearing onstage is an acquired skill! what a revelation!!

i agree about booting paloma IN A WAY. unfortunately when she was doing the booting she was ruthless, and i think a little of that came back and bit her in the arse. and i was shocked at how much BOVELL ran thru and thru cut - but he is a performing producer and fairly svengalish in his way. to good effect, mind you!

but people grow and they sometimes grow in different directions. i think paloma was growing out of the whole angry teen scene at the same time the others were wanting to expand their musical horizons. she began to feel they were inspiring negativity instead of creativity...in the beginning it was enough to say "i'll never figure out how to play well and i don't care," but if you're going to stay  in the business of making music you are probably going to get better at it and out the window goes the anarchy.

anyway annette sorry if  i sounded bolshy just putting out my own experience of the experience. i feel like i must know you but i can't place you! as for dates unless they carry markers i am terrible with them.