[TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

robin dudley rodudley at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:51:24 EST 2008

well, to me that just goes to show how fact is subverted to a good story line. ask any musician who's been in the papers what happened to the facts when the article came out. there was a lot of myth created not just history. the first slits gig (with kate) at the harlesden clash gig (wasn't that theatre also called the roxy, by coincidence??) was in march 77. i don't remember offhand when the screen and roxy gigs she did took place but i know for fact that she was still in the band summer of 77 which is why i said autumn. it could even be that the roxy gig WAS in jan and was actually the first but i don't think so...i have learned this year just how treacherous memory can be, but there are a FEW things i am sure of. chrissie hynde also thought all girls was a publicity gimmick that couldn't work, until she saw the band. but i do know that it was quite common in those days to consider someone who was out as completely irrelevant, and a lot of false stories went down in print and are now considered to be fact. caroline was a great writer and publicist. she helped create images for more than a few people in that time. she's a great gal. but she is also a great embroiderer, if you catch my drift.