[TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

HunnyPi007 at aol.com HunnyPi007 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 00:53:13 EST 2008

thank you, dee! bush tetras actually came to mind when i wrote "i
think mixed gender bands are cool and sexy and foster the slits' core
message of gender power and inclusiveness" in my other post. yeah,
it's old news. we even touched on this here many years ago and decided
that the members of this list are "typical girls" and "typical
boys" (of course, this was meant tongue-in-cheek, and we hope to be
more enlightened versions of who ari sings about in the song.) i think
the same should apply in "the real world," i.e. in bands. in fact, i
think the "need" for all-female bands has lessened greatly since the
slits first came on the scene over 30 years ago. is it blasphemous to
say that in this group? boys and girls making music together is a
beautiful thing and is a good model for the world.

anyway, as is often the case, this group gets me googling, and i came
upon a great bio for bruce smith. turns out he played with sade and
lives right here in nyc (if the bio is current). i had no idea! since
ari is sometimes based here and bruce is more of an original slits
drummer than anna (no offense!), this is one more reason he could play
with the slits again. anyway, thought some here would be interested in
the bio (courtesy of PiL's website (see: Fodderstompf | PiL People |
Miscellaneous Drummers):

BRUCE SMITH

Born:
Bristol, England

PiL:
Drums & Percussion 1986-90

Bio:
Originally recruited for the 1986 'Album' tour, Smith stayed with PiL
for nearly four years; playing on two studio albums (‘Happy?' & ‘9')
and forming an important part of the "new" PiL. After excessive
touring he finally left at the beginning of 1990. (Recording the track
'Criminal' for the 'Point Break' soundtrack just before leaving). By
his own admission he did a lot of "partying and drugs" and it seems
things just finally came to a head.

Prior to PiL Smith was drummer for The Pop Group (1977-81) & The Slits
(1979-81), New Age Steppers (1980-81) & African Head Charge (1982).
Married Neneh Cherry for three years and moved to Sweden. Formed Rip
Rig & Panic (1981-84) & Float Up C.P. (1984-86).

Despite joining PiL in spring 1986, Smith simultaneously did session
work for Terrence Trent D'Arby (1987), Guided By Voices (1989) amongst
others. Post PiL, more session work followed including The The
(‘Dusk', 1993), Björk (‘Debut',1993).

Bruce is still actively involved in and around the music scene
composing and producing for various recording artists, films,
documentaries, commercials etc. He has most recently been playing and
recording with Sade's backing band Sweetback; appearing on their first
album in 1996, and their follow up released spring 2004. He currently
lives with his family in Soho, New York, USA.

btw, what's budgie up to post-divorce? is he available to be a slit
again? in any case, was anna supposed to play with them at the uk gig
that is now in question here?

lz