[TypicalGirls] New Bloods

weasel walter weaselw at juno.com
Wed Mar 19 20:10:11 EDT 2008

you can always go someplace else. that's what most of us probably had to
do. don't take that advice personally.

ww

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:59:12 -0500 "dan bailey" <dpbailey at att.net>
writes:
Oh, please be assured that my whine wasn't directed at you (or at anyone
in particular, really) -- just me being curmudgeonly & venting
accordingly. After spending most of my life in the South (plus about 2
1/2 years in Phoenix, going to grad school) I guess I'm just envious of
people who, as I said, have a choice of seeing more good bands in a given
week than I would in, say, a decade.

At the same time, there's a certain amount of, I guess, reverse snobbism
at being able to tell myself that I (as well as loads of others, of
course) was seeking out punk & such in a time & place where *Led
Zeppelin* were considered dangerously radical ... never mind X-Ray Spex
or the Banshees. I mean, even today -- 30 years later, in a city 20 times
the size of the place I went to college in SW Arkansas -- there *may* be
50 other people here who know who Essential Logic were. Quite possibly
not, though.

Anyway, good on you guys for touring all sorts of benighted backwaters
south of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm sort of surprised to see you playing
Shreveport, which to my knowledge is totally lacking in redeeming
(anti)social value (though, y'know, come to think of it I *did* find
[speaking of X-Ray Spex] Germ-Free Adolescents at a mall store there in
'79 ...).

Anyway, good luck with the tour, period, & certainly the Alabama shows. I
am, unfortunately, in the absolutely vile pesthole of an excuse for the
state capital, Montgomery, which makes my former home of Little Rock
(where I'm surprised to see you guys *not* playing, actually) look like
NYC or LA, honest to god. (Jackson Browne played here last week. You
would've thought the Beatles had reunited.) If I want to see a show I
have to drive 3 or 4 hours to Atlanta, & I don't believe I've done that
since my birthday nearly 5 years ago ... An aging car (&, let's face it,
physique) can be awfully inconvienient.

/whine

Dan