[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book

Kelli Miller kelli at goodgrrrldesign.com
Sat Sep 15 12:04:37 EDT 2007

These are really great counter points. I definitely understand and
respect the idea of public vs. private and cultural context. I guess
my point was definitely not to re-release every single scrap of paper
or 4-track recording ever made within a certain era. Rather, continue
the legacy of writing, releasing etc. reference points to those eras.
Things like Our Band Could be Your Life or We Owe You Nothing or even
Fucked Up and Photocopied as collections of stories and images of
really very interesting and subversive times had an enormous impact
on me and my art/music. And I don't really think that they could be
considered completely "mainstream" either. It's there for those
seeking it out, as with most independent music, art, etc. etc.

And, speaking totally personally, I have to admit that at times I did
get caught up romanticizing those by gone times and found myself
disappointed that things had changed. But eventually, it becomes a
back story and informs how to create currently. So, while we might
disagree on the details in this conversation I see the other side of
the fence and appreciate the dialogue. It's great!