[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book

J Neo Marvin j_n_e_o at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:58:07 EDT 2007

It also could be that Lois got tired of being confused with that annoying person she named her band after. ;-)

-J Neo Marvin

http://www.earcandleproductions.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/jneomarvin

"You're a nutcase! You're a bleedin' nutcase!"

"They said the same thing about Jesus Christ, Freud and Galileo."

"They said it about a lot of nutcases, too."

- Cook and Moore, "Bedazzled"
----------------------------------------> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:07:30 -0700> To: typicalgirls at lists.ibiblio.org> From: dbcloud at panix.com> Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book>>> Yeah, I pretty much agree with you there--nobody's wishing harder> than I am for the Go Team stuff to be available on a shiny new CD, I> would totally buy a Fertile Virgin ringtone, etc. (Note: that looks> like sarcasm, but isn't.) But there are some legitimate arguments,> along the same lines, for not reissuing some things. A couple of> years ago, I asked Lois Maffeo for permission to post some MP3s from> the Courtney Love (-the-band) singles on my blog; she responded,> essentially, that since I'd asked, she had to say no: those records> were really meant for people who were part of a particular scene at a> particular time, and while she was happy to see them being propagated> on mix tapes etc., she didn't want to be officially responsible> herself for making them available again outside their intended> cultural context. Which seemed fair to me.>> Like Tobi, I'd also rather see a new musical/cultural/political> movement than more documentation of the old one--!>> On the Yoko Ono front: I have probably mentioned this here before,> but she was one of the best, most interesting interviewees I've ever> talked to, and pretty much every other journalist I know who's> interviewed her has had the same reaction. I'm not quite as crazy> about _Approximately Infinite Universe_ as Tobi and J Neo are ("Death> of Samantha" aside), but _Plastic Ono Band_ and _Fly_ are both> mindbendingly fantastic records. _Life with the Lions_ is pretty> riveting, too.>> Douglas>> Mike wrote:>>>All good points. And I wasn't really thinking about the 50-copy>>photocopy zines, anyway; it's totally understandable that the authors>>would be uncomfortable seeing them anthologized or uploaded. I'm>>thinking more about the actual music that came out during that era ->>the cassettes, 7-inches and LPs. It seems to me that the songs and>>live shows were generally meant for larger audiences than the zines.>>It seems a shame to deprive today's youth of Viva Knieval, Heavens To>>Betsy's "Direction" single or the _A Wonderful Treat_ cassette, for>>instance.> _______________________________________________> TypicalGirls mailing list> TypicalGirls at lists.ibiblio.org> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/typicalgirls