[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

Jason Gross perfect at furious.com
Fri Sep 14 14:11:03 EDT 2007

It's funny that it never occurred to me that the KRS reissues would
inspire bands to follow in their footsteps but if it has, I'm really
gratified to hear that (also when I heard "Mind Your Own Business" in
a Will Farrell movie, I thought "God, that's so cool!").  I thought
they were meant for the artists to get financial and historic
recognition and for old fans, it would be a way to have them connect
with the music again without paying E-Bay prices and for new or
potential fans, it could be a way for them to discover and enjoy this music.

As for newer bands, I second the love for Love of Diagrams, Mika Miko
(great show at this past SxSW), Be Your Own Pet (saw them open for
Arctic Monkeys), The Grates and Yo Majesty (playing at the Knit at
month's end) and add to the list Headless and Fur Cups for Teeth.

Best,
Jason

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>