[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book

Kelli Miller kelli at goodgrrrldesign.com
Fri Sep 14 12:58:09 EDT 2007

I get what your saying, but I totally disagree. Because someone
crosses over into the world of mainstream approval does not void them
of their roots, so to say Beth Ditto doesn't count is a real slap in
the face to her/Gossips history before, say 2006.

It is important to document these movements. All history is told
through some slanted lens and why is it such an awful idea to tell it
through this one? I think hoping for traces of indie/DIY culture to
disappear is equally nostalgic and extremely elitist. It's holding on
to a secret memory that "shouldn't" be shared. Be sure this still
happens, obviously not every bit of ephemera will be catalogued and
replicated 10 years after its prime. What's wrong with building a
history of subcultural movements and allowing that to inspire future
generations/misfits/girls/boys/whatever??? And honestly, if there is
a qualified academic willing to write about this stuff, from my
perspective, that adds a certain amount of legitimacy to the hard
work that was done during those times. Of course it's not easy to
find alternate ways to be creative, to get your work out there,
etc.... it's F'ING hard, damn near impossible sometimes. If
documentation like this stuff ceased to exists the blueprint gets
lost with your 1985 mixtapes.