[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

J Neo Marvin j_n_e_o at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:51:28 EDT 2007

>....but i think it's a mistake to dismiss
>music as being traditional when it's uitlizing/appropriating old forms
>for new uses...like yoko ono's approximately infinite universe--it's
>not a pop record, it's a record that experiments with pop forms as a
>means of communicating radical ideas (feminist, revolutionary,
>etc)...that doesn't make it any less experimental than the plastic ono
>band's why/why not...in my opinion they are both doing the same thing,
>just in different ways...

Absolutely true.

Approximately Infinite Universe is incredibly underrated. When I first heard
it at 15, it completely changed my idea of what you can say in a song. After
that, I had no patience with cliched rock lyrics anymore. After all these
years, some people are finally starting to "get" Yoko Ono, but AIU still
gets overlooked.

-J Neo Marvin

http://www.earcandleproductions.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/jneomarvin