[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

Kelli Miller kelli at goodgrrrldesign.com
Thu Sep 13 22:38:03 EDT 2007

Good point about about the delivery of the music changing. Of course
it will never be the same exactly but that's what keeps it
interesting. And maybe this new crop isn't always challenging the
music formally but they are definitely re-defining how we find it and
listen to it. I always thought that the distribution and community
surrounding early punk was one of the most inspiring aspects of it
all. This is just a new way of exploring that.

Also, lots of DIY venues and shows ARE still happening, probably much
in the same fashion as previous decades. I mean in Brooklyn, it's
rampant. And I've felt, being at these shows lately, a REAL sadness
and sense of lose of that riot grrrl, post-riot grrrl world. I
remember going to shows and just feeling an overwhelming sense of
belonging and equality that was so special. Now it seems the bands
here are mostly dudes and the girls are usually hanging out in the
back again. Obviously, not every  show but several I've been to have
reverted back to those standards. The crowds may be less violent but
the segregation seems apparent. So, that said I am so extremely
excited and happy to see that riot grrrl has entered the cultural
cycle of resurgence that seems to happen every 10-15 years. I think
that alone says a lot about it's significance in music and culture.

Good conversation! Thanks for the new bands to check out too!

KM