[TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

Tobi Vail tobivail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:34:24 EDT 2007

ha ha it's funny i said "right" down instead of write ....as we were
trying to "right" the wrongness that was the invisibility of all the
great punk/post punk music we knew about that wasn't taken seriously
or available to masses of people in the early 90's....also, i was
exagerrating when I said it was never my intention to break new
ground...because I have been in a bunch of bands that were
'experimenting' in that way....but i think it's a mistake to dismiss
music as being traditional when it's uitlizing/appropriating old forms
for new uses...like yoko ono's approximately infinite universe--it's
not a pop record, it's a record that experiments with pop forms as a
means of communicating radical ideas (feminist, revolutionary,
etc)...that doesn't make it any less experimental than the plastic ono
band's why/why not...in my opinion they are both doing the same thing,
just in different ways...ok i have to go play a show now!

Tobi