[TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...

Lizzie Ehrenhalt dancingvioletsnail at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 17:42:19 EDT 2007

For the past six months I've been keeping a running list of--for lack of a better term--"neo-riot-grrrl" bands as I find them.  Here's what I have so far (current side projects of original riot grrrls, like Partyline, don't count):

Love of Diagrams
Kiosk
Baby Guts (truly amazing, from Minneapolis!)
Gamine Thief
Mil Mascaras
Shrag
Finally Punk
Mika Miko
The Grates
Poppy & the Jezebels (not punk, but still grrrlish)
Be Your Own Pet (for the amazing Jemima Pearl)

Australia seems to have a particularly strong grrrl-influenced scene going at the moment...many of the above bands are Aussies.

Please add your own favorites to the list and help it grow!

Lizzie

unmannedmission at gmail.com wrote: I was just curious what the list members thoughts were on the surge of new, younger artists taking a lot of queues from the riot grrrl movement of the early 90's. Finally Punk ( http://www.myspace.com/finallypunk), Kiosk (http://www.myspace.com/kiosk), for two and of course the projects of the forever hard working Allison Wolfe, and Tobi Vail as well. I've had several disagreements with people who complain that while the music these bands are making is fun... they're just not taking it anywhere new. Having grown up listening to Bikini Kill and Bratmobile a lot... I'm inclined to like this stuff for pure nostalgia, let alone that the music is great in its own right in my opinion. I think it's great that  the ideas that started a movement in underground music more than a decade ago, can still translate well to the next generation without coming across as trite and overly derivative. Anyone else, thoughts? Also, if you have info on similar
 bands, post em' up... i'd love to hear more.

justin

Lizzie Ehrenhalt
MSI candidate, School of Information
University of Michigan