[TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...

Mairead Case mairead.case at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:02:43 EDT 2007

One thing I've been super-impressed by is the way "young bands" (possibly
"first bands" is more precise?) are promoting themselves. I mean this in
terms of getting on the radar, but also terms used, theories credited and
idols cited. A lot of these people came up just post-riotgrrl, but they got
mixtapes from siblings, heard babysitters romanticizing, and so on -- so
they have an interesting understanding of what worked and what didn't, two
steps removed. I'm especially inspired by people like: the Shondes, Swan
Island, Echolocations, Teenage Teardrops.

Relatedly awesome are the Girls' Rock Camps, in Pdx especially:
http://www.urbanhonking.com/dokuchan/archives/2007/08/this_day_last_w.html.
I mean, if somebody plays you Kathleen Hanna (etc., etc.) when you're seven,
who knows what'll happen when eight hits.

Obviously things aren't this black and white, and it's hard to point to a
single origin. But I'm seeing action in a lot of places, and so again:
especially in a year dominated by Myspace marketing and many distros
folding, I'm psyched to see people willing to try things onstage, bravely in
the moment, and making zines.

M.

mairead.case at gmail.com
425.241.8881