[TypicalGirls] Random Observation

Douglas Wolk dbcloud at panix.com
Tue Jun 19 17:13:14 EDT 2007

Emily's on the money. The Velvet Underground, the ur-alt-rock band,
had a male viola player and a female drummer; that doesn't seem to
have permanently stuck as the formula, either!

I tried to make a quick mental list of other rock bands w/ string
players, and came up with the Dirty 3 (man), King of the Slums
(woman), Fairport Convention (man), Rasputina (women but that's sort
of their raison d'etre), Belle & Sebastian (women), The Ex (a man in
their "Scrabbling at the Lock" era, a woman more recently)... there
doesn't seem to be a particular pattern.

Douglas