[TypicalGirls] SUBMIT BLURBS PLEASE! We're up to 22 must-haves!

J Neo Marvin j_n_e_o at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:20:28 EDT 2007

>Since Chuck brought it up, I had been thinking about
>the issue of girl singers. On one hand, a lot of the
>bands with female singers I suppose were def.
>empowering, but at the same time is it important
>enough to recommend a band which is basically some
>boys adding that trendy girl singer for appeal...or
>maybe it's all splitting hairs.

On the other side of the coin, it's probably not crucial for this particular
list, but what about bands that were mostly male but included female
instrumentalists? That was considerably more revolutionary in the late
70s...I'm figuring that Tina Weymouth, Gaye Advert, Pat Place and Adele
Bertei in the Contortions, etc etc might have had just as much if not more
influence on a lot of young women at the time as far as inspiring the
thought, "I could do that!" The so-called "chick singer" was
well-established, but women picking up instruments in LOUD bands that
weren't folky or jazzy was the real sea change.

Just musing a bit here...carry on...

-J Neo Marvin

http://www.earcandleproductions.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/jneomarvin

"You're a nutcase! You're a bleedin' nutcase!"

"They said the same thing about Jesus Christ, Freud and Galileo."

"They said it about a lot of nutcases, too."

                             - Cook and Moore, "Bedazzled"